Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Financial Fear or Freedom? (Part 1)

You know the story. Maybe it's your story. Maybe it's the story of someone you know.
 
You fall in love, get married, have a child... and then seemingly out of nowhere, he's not in love anymore.
 
Relationship ends. Court battle ensues. There are fights over custody, visitation, child support, settlement payments...
 
And when it's all said and done, you're a single mom with one (or maybe no) income. You have a child to raise, bills to pay, and the money coming into the home is significantly less than the amount that needs to be going out.
 
And you panic.
 
Fear sets in.
 
Defeat is felt.
 
You didn't ask for this. You said "I do" thinking you were signing up for a happily-ever-after, and now you don't even know how you're going to feed your child, let alone pay the mortgage. Forget about doing anything "happily".
 
The direction you turn in this moment reveals a lot more about your heart than you might realize.
 
It's a common story. The specific details aren't exactly my story, but the outcome, fear, and accompanying emotions are the same. I was in debt further than I even knew, and when the bills started coming in - credit cards I hadn't realized had been maxed out, checks that bounced due to account withdrawals I was unaware of, and past due notices on bills I thought had been paid - to say I felt overwhelmed would be an understatement. Among other things, I was on the verge of eviction from the one-bedroom apartment I shared with my daughter.
 
I know now where my heart should have been. In the Word. In the only One who knew how to truly provide for my little family. 
 
But it wasn't. It was in the world. It was focused on fear, and the lack of control I felt over a situation I thought I should be able to control. 
 
If I had been focused on God's promises, I would have known that He would never leave me nor forsake me.
 
Do not be afraid or terrified... for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. -Deuteronomy 31:6
 
I would have known that He would always provide for me what I needed.
 
“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
 
“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." -Matthew 6:25-34

And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus. -Philippians 4:19

But I didn't believe that.

How about you? If you're struggling financially, do you believe His promises, or are you stuck in a place of fear?

1 comment:

  1. DO YOU NEED A LOAN TO START UP OR EXPAND YOUR BUSINESS? Zion financial services is a sincere and certified private Loan company approved by the Canadian Government, we give out international and local loans to all countries in the world, Amount given out $5000 to $10 Million. We offer loans with a dependable guarantee to all of our clients. Our loan interest rates are very low and affordable with a negotiable duration.

    Available now are
    MORTGAGE LOANS, CAR LOANS, STUDENT LOANS, PERSONAL LOANS, START-UP & EXPANSION OF BUSINESS LOANS AND DEPT CONSOLIDATION LOANS

    Apply for a loan today with your loan amount and duration, Its Easy and fast to get 3% interest rates per annum and monthly installment payments. email us now to apply: zionloanfirm.ltd@aol.com

    OUR COMPANY IS BASED IN CANADA.
    But we give out international and local loans to all countries in the world. Email us now to apply: zionloanfirm.ltd@aol.com

    ReplyDelete