Thursday, March 7, 2013

Financial Fear or Freedom? (Part 2)

If you missed Part 1, be sure to read that first!

After I came out of that financially devastating situation in my life, and finally felt like I had reached "ground zero", I began to rebuild. Once I was able to make ends meet, I eventually reached a point where I claimed to believe God's promises that He would provide... until I recognized that I truly didn't. I was only speaking the words - my heart wasn't quite there. Every once in awhile, when the money came up short at the end of the month, I would get angry with God and ask Him why He wasn't providing the way He promised.

And then one day it hit me...

If I'm living my life in a way that is beyond the means which He has provided, I'm telling God what He's given me is not enough. And that is a lie. What God gives us is always enough. What we choose to do with what He gives us reveals our heart - either we trust Him or we don't.

I had to really reexamine where my money was going. If I couldn't afford my house payment, there was a good chance His plan might require me to downsize. If I couldn't afford my car payment, there was a good chance He was asking me to trade it in for something a little more modest. If I found I was spending more money at Starbucks every month than I was giving the church, God was probably asking me to take a hard look at my priorities.

If you find yourself struggling financially, my first challenge to you would be to examine where your money is going. When we take the time to examine our financial priorities, God has a way of convicting our hearts. Of revealing to us a certain level of selfishness that today's world would simply see as entitlement. God doesn't promise to provide for our selfish whims - He promises to provide what we need. And He asks us to be content with that.

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.”
-Hebrews 13:5

But I skipped a part of my story. The part where I broke free of all the debt I had accumulated so quickly when I became a single mom. Don't worry - I'll share that part too... but don't be surprised if it doesn't look the way you might expect. Sometimes in an attempt to break free of the chains that bind us, we simply exchange one kind of bondage for another. In doing so, we don't truly attain freedom.

1 comment:

  1. DO YOU NEED A LOAN TO START UP OR EXPAND YOUR BUSINESS? Zion financial services is a sincere and certified private Loan company approved by the Canadian Government, we give out international and local loans to all countries in the world, Amount given out $5000 to $10 Million. We offer loans with a dependable guarantee to all of our clients. Our loan interest rates are very low and affordable with a negotiable duration.

    Available now are
    MORTGAGE LOANS, CAR LOANS, STUDENT LOANS, PERSONAL LOANS, START-UP & EXPANSION OF BUSINESS LOANS AND DEPT CONSOLIDATION LOANS

    Apply for a loan today with your loan amount and duration, Its Easy and fast to get 3% interest rates per annum and monthly installment payments. email us now to apply: zionloanfirm.ltd@aol.com

    OUR COMPANY IS BASED IN CANADA.
    But we give out international and local loans to all countries in the world. Email us now to apply: zionloanfirm.ltd@aol.com

    ReplyDelete