Friday, October 10, 2014

In the Desert



Does God ever lead you to a desert? Where you feel like you're completely alone, you have very little left, and you don't see a way out anytime soon?

Sometimes it's an emotional desert. Sometimes it's a financial desert. Sometimes it's a relational desert.

Recently, I felt like I was in the middle of an all-of-the-above desert.

I texted a close friend for prayer because, quite honestly, I just didn't feel like praying myself. My friend is very encouraging. She knows me well. And I can be quite immature in times like these...


     Me: I could sure use some prayers... I'm having a very discouraging time right now...
 
     My Friend: God already had me praying for you... Please know that He is with you, He sees you and He chooses you and He believes in you! Hugs <3
 
     Me: He can choose someone else now. I'm tired.
 
 
Yeah, that totally happened. Real mature, right??
 
Fortunately, God continues to pursue me even in my immaturity and stubbornness. He revealed to me that, although my circumstances were partially due to the actions (or inactions) of others, they wouldn't have been as devastating if I'd been in the right place to begin with. I knew where that right place was, I had simply chosen not to be there.
 
But He also showed me that, in His grace, He was protecting me where I was. My circumstances could have been much, much worse. He allowed me to experience just enough pain and discomfort to draw me back to Him, but He didn't allow me to be destroyed.
 
And as I journey out of this desert, which is a different battle altogether, I've been able to thank Him for allowing me to experience the struggle. Being in the desert has given me a greater appreciation for what I have because I am reminded of what it feels like when it's lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment